Saturday, May 3, 2014

Stallholder profile Sugar and Spice Creations

Stallholder Profile
Mel from Sugar and Spice Creations
Name : Mel Spicer

Business name:  Sugar and Spice Creations


Town you live in now: Rockhampton, Queensland

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? 
Sewn items for mums & bubs.

What inspired you to start your business? 
My 'creative other half' Bec Christiansen was my initial inspiration when she found out that she was pregnant.  I couldn't wait to make all sorts of gorgeous goodies for her & her girls! They are my current test subjects ;)

How long have you been ‘creating’? 
I brought my first sewing machine only just over 2 years ago & launched Sugar & Spice Creations soon after.

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? 
It's my full time job at the moment!

Where do you sell your creations? 
Online/markets etc..  Online (Facebook), The Handmade Expo Market, Rockhampton, word of mouth, baby expos and other markets.


What makes what you do special or different? 
My core product is our Travel Change Mat, which is part of the Essentials Set.  I designed this product with advice from Bec.  I initially had made a simple version which we saw could use some altering to make it more practical & user friendly.  It's been a hit with my customers and I'm currently working on an even more improved version!!

What is the most rewarding part of what you do? 
Peoples amazement that I've created these items & when a customer says they 'have to have' something particular because they saw someone else with one.

What is your favourite product that you make? 
Our newest product, the Lunch Bags, are my current favourite product.  It's so great to be able to offer a product that encourages reusing & sustainability.

Do you teach classes or workshops?
I would love the opportunity!  I have a great studio at home now & would welcome doing one on one sewing lessons ;)

No comments: