Saturday, February 7, 2015

Stallholder profile CraftByrd W.A

Stallholder profile today is CraftByrd


Your name: Sharmishta Ravindran

Your Business name: CraftByrd

Suburb/town :Bicton, Perth

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? 
I use my machine to sew my products but from time to time I also use hand embroidery and machine appliqué to embellish my work.

What inspired you to start your business?
I love working with Indian fabrics that are hand-woven, block-printed or made with other traditional methods. Maybe it is the fact that each yard of fabric is unique as it is handmade or maybe the lovely vibrant colours or just the fact that it makes me feels closer to home (India). Having said that, I just love fabrics....I just can't walk way from a delightful or quirky print or colour...
I can never have enough pouches and soon I was making them for family, my friends and myself. They are the ones who have encouraged me to open up my little online shop. 


How long have you been ‘creating’?
I have been a crafter since I can ever remember. I like to dabble in all sorts of crafts, but have been into sewing almost constantly for the last five or so years, ever since I got me my awesome sewing machine. 

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business?
An architect by education, I stopped practising a few years ago as we keep moving around the world due to the nature of my husband's work. So what started out as a hobby has now become my business. 

Where do you sell your creations?
I started my Etsy shop(www.craftbyrd.etsy.com) in November of 2014. I will step into the world of  markets from March this year. I shall be selling my wares at the Handmade Expo Rockingham, The Vintage Collective Markets and Busy Bee Markets from this March on.

What makes what you do special or different?
As I said before, I am a self-confessed fabricaholic. I love mixing and matching different colours and fabrics together. This makes my products be unique and different from the rest. Also, I love to use Indian fabrics that are handmade by various methods - hand block-printed, handwoven, hand loom, which I feel is my USP.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?
Being able to play with different fabrics and having a reason to buy more fabric ;)...lol 

What is your favourite product that you make?
I love all the products I make and I keep constantly trying to make new products that are handy and pretty too. It is very difficult to choose a favourite product for me. 

Do you teach classes or workshops?

I haven't ever thought about it this far but well, I never thought I would run my own handmade shop. Never say Never :)

No comments: