Friday, May 22, 2015

Stallholder profile My Eclectic

We welcome Anita from My Eclectic who will be joining us at our new location in Toowoomba for our 
Handmade and Vintage Market

Your name:     
Anita Gosden

Your Business name : 
myclectic  

The suburb/town you live:
Brisbane

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? 
1 - Recently I've taken an interest in Leather work. Traditional methods of carving and hand stitching. I make purses, wallets, clutches and earrings out of new and repurposed leather. 
 2 - I collect vintage books, magazines, comics and sheet music and use these in my glass tile jewellery range which I have been making for about 3 years.


What inspired you to start your business?  
It all started with making some superman cuff links from a comic for a friend. Then a short while later, I visited the Brisstyle Twilight Market for the first time where I met fellow creatives and just knew this is what I wanted to do.


How long have you been ‘creating’? 
All up I'd have to say since I was a little girl. I can't give you a date or else I'd be giving away my age. So let's just say a VERY LONG TIME!

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? 
At present it is more of a hobby, I like to call it my little 'cottage industry'. I've found that realistically I do need to work part time to support my little creative cottage industry.


Where do you sell your creations?
# I have an online shop on Etsy.com and Madeit.com.au 
# I also stock three Brisbane businesses with my creations.      ( The Collective Store, Wynnum; Retro Metro, Paddington; and Indie Made, Sandgate ) 
# and of course I often sell at popular Brisbane markets such as The Handmade Expo, Brisstyle Twilight Market and Suitcase Rummage.


What makes what you do special or different? 
The majority of the materials I use, whether for leather goods or comicbook jewellery, I have personally sourced locally at garage sales, de-stashes, op shops and 2nd hand book shops. They are usually one off and never to be repeated so that is what makes my products different.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do? 
It Is the response I get from a happy customer. One who loves the uniqueness of my products. I love the grins I see at a market when someone picks up a pair of my comic book earrings and realises it's Tintin or Mickey Mouse.
I love that grin.

What is your favourite product that you make? 
At the moment I adore the cute little 'wastenot' leather purses I make along with a funky leather tassel. I'm a bit addicted to making my own chunky leather tassels.

Do you teach classes or workshops? 
Yes I do. Basic leathercraft, And I love it. I have held classes at The Collective Store, Wynnum and a new venue in West End called Raw Art.

No comments: