Thursday, June 25, 2015

Stallholder profile Kate Hunter Designs

Todays Stallholder profile belongs to Kate Hunter Designs..
Your name: Kate Hunter

Your Business name  and link to website:  

My Instagram feed shows my making process K8tium

I haven’t set up a Facebook page separate to my life as yet and now feel more compelled to get that happening.

The suburb/town you live in now:  Cairns

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?  
I am a silversmith and make silver jewellery by hand from scratch with traditional jewellers tools and techniques.



What inspired you to start your business?
I’ve always worked in jewellery making and designing, a lot of the time for other people. When my last job folded I decided it was time to make what I love. Contemporary silver jewellery made by hand and designed with the comfort of the wearer in mind. 

How long have you been creating? 
Since I got my first set of colour pencils in kindergarten.
I gained my Bachelor of Design in Jewellery and Metalsmithing in 1984.

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business?
Making jewellery is my daily passion.

Where do you sell your creations? 
Holloways Beach Market, Palm Cove Night Market (last year it was every Friday night but this year it will be a monthly market) Tanks Art Market starting 28th June and Handmade Expo on the 5th July.
Carnival On Collins Sept. 6th.

What makes what you do so special or different?
I make practical contemporary jewellery that embraces the marks of the maker’s hand. 
Each piece is individually hand crafted from scratch.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?
When people buy my jewellery and put it straight on to wear, and when I get asked if I can make something they have in mind but can’t find. It is very rewarding when I nail the brief!

What is your favourite product that you make?
I’m a bit of an earring queen
I love making earrings and they are my daily jewellery wear. 
Earrings make me feel dressed even without makeup.


Do you teach classes or workshops?
Yes I teach a short course - ‘Introduction to Silversmithing’ at Tafe Cairns North campus. R Block.
I just finished the June Tuesday night 4 week classes. 
The next Tuesday night 4 week blocks are scheduled for August and October 2015.

No comments: