Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Ipswich Stallholder Profile for Sweet Chilli Onions

Stallholder Profile for Sweet Chilli Onions
https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Chilli-Onions-470072139669932/



Your name: Sarah Lightowler-Ward

Your Business name and Facebook name and link: Sweet Chilli Onions https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Chilli-Onions-470072139669932/

           The suburb/town you live in now: Forest Lake, Brisbane

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? - I design and make children's toys, I machine, hand sew and knit. I also make children's clothes, printed Vests, Bibs & T-shirts, Cards and Cushions.  

What inspired you to start your business? I've always loved sewing ever since I was taught by my Mum and Nan. I made a fancy dress Jester costume in my textiles class at school for my little brother and it was ace, I even made the shoes! I also refuse to spend a fortune on shop bought cards, so I started making them, then toys and now clothing since having my son last year! If I think I can make it, I'll happily give it a go. 




How long have you been ‘creating’? Since I was about 10, but I've had Sweet Chilli Onions since 2012.

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? Hobby only at the moment as I'm a full time Project Manager in the aged care construction sector. I love my job and I love my hobby so I don't see things changing anytime soon. 

Where do you sell your creations? Online/markets etc:  I sell on etsy, at markets like The Handmade Expo and by word of mouth. 

What makes what you do special or different?  I'd say I'm different for a couple of reasons, 1. people assume I sell onions in sweet chilli sauce (no kidding) and I draw my own toy patterns. Every toy is unique (even when using the same pattern), there not quite as perfect as a shop bought item, but then that's what makes them special. Anyone who has a toy of mine knows it's the only one, especially for them.  

What is the most rewarding part of what you do? I love to see my customers happy with their purchase and that the kids enjoy what I have made.  




What is your favourite product that you make? I have so many favourites, I love my large animal cushions and my current favorite is my lambs! 

Do you teach classes or workshops? No, but that doesn't mean I won't. if anyone shows an interest in learning a skill that I can share, I'm more than happy to hold a workshop.  

No comments: